Summer is practically here, as the temperatures have been creeping up and we are all looking for what to wear in this transitional weather, before it is full-blown summer. So as it is not that far away, and because summer and summer adventures are way more fun to think about than any cold weather, it is time to get talking about the trends that you need to know about and be following, once the temperatures reach their peak this summer. There are lots of fun things to look forward to – so don’t miss out.
- Tie-Dye: Yes, seriously. It may be a bit of a ‘brace yourselves’ kind of fashion statement, bringing back some major summer camp vibes, but one of the major prints this season will be tie-dye; totally psychedelic. It is a definite nod to the 1970s, with the likes of Prada and Stella McCartney showing plenty of tie-dye on the catwalks.
- Fringe: Designers like Tom Ford have given the classic western vibe of fringing to make it modern, sassy, and feminine.
You can have fringing on the kinds of things that you’ll wear everyday, without it looking out of place.
- Bike Shorts: These have been around for quite a while now, and have been firm favourites with the Kardashian and Jenner clan! The great news? They’re super comfy! In black, they are just like wearing black knee shorts, so they’re are a great option if denim cut-offs aren’t your thing.
Plus, they can take you from the gym to shopping – and everything else in between. Chanel have even designed their versions, so that means they’re here to stay, right?
- All Animal Prints: This isn’t surprising as animal prints have been around for many, many years and they’re going nowhere anytime soon! Whilst all animal print is popular, if you’re looking for the ‘on-trend’ style then in particular it’s the leopard print. Seen on many maxi skirts for summer along with light sweaters for the evening and also t-shirts. Love your designers? Check out brands like Roberto Cavalli and Burberry who have been showcasing the prints on catwalks.
- Print Mash-Up: Prints – once considered tacky, they’re now having a moment and when this is done right, it’s right! You can style prints together and even look at clashing colours too – everything goes and it’s a total power look!
- Neon: Remember this neon trend? Yes, it is still a thing!
Fluorescent and neon shades are here to stay as they bring some brightness to your summer wardrobe. You can go all out in things like electric hues – especially neon green, or could just stick to some accessories with a bold and neon look.
- Statement Jewellery: Jewellery makes a statement and as we’ve said on Sprinkles of Style – by using the right accessories, you can update your outfit in an instant. Whether it’s chunky rings, dainty necklaces or stacked bangles – there’s something for everyone. However, if you wanted to treat yourself to a new piercing and don’t want the usual (ear or nose), you could get yourself some silver nipple piercings or a funky belly button ring. Think bright and think bold with this kind of thing.
- Faux Feathers: Back again for this season and time for a bit of frou-frou with some feathers (faux, of course). They can be earrings, a clutch bag, or on the trim of dresses and cardigans. Designers like Marc Jacobs and Oscar de la Renta have jumped on board the feather train – will you be joining them?
- One Shoulder: A huge trend last summer! We saw a lot of dresses that sat just below the shoulder which was a really pretty look however this year, we’re looking at the one shoulder trend. This can be dressed down quite easily as well as dressed-up for an evening move so there’s plenty of ways to incorporate this into your look seeing you through day-to-night on holiday for example.
- Spots & Stripes: Spots and stripes. They’ve been in fashion for plenty of years however some years – they’re a bit more on trend and this summer, if you’re looking to add spots to your wardrobe, think dotty!
The Dalmation look is one which looks effortlessly beautiful on floaty summer dresses and a great addition to your wardrobe. Style things like this with a thick black waist belt and wedge heels. Places like Zara sell white maxi dresses with black spots and people are going mad for this over on Instagram!
- Lavender: Whilst neons are a definite trend, here’s an option for those who are looking for something a bit more – subtle shall we say….
Lavender is a gorgeous colour and compliments all skin tones – best reserved for a beach vacation however you can add lavender accessories to your outfit and look out for dresses, pantsuits and tops in this beautiful colour too…
If you’re feeling a bit more brave – you can clash your pastel tones for a funky summer look. 🙂
I love reading all your comments so let me know what you think about these trends. Have you spotted any early signs of these trends on the high-street and what are you looking forward to wearing this summer?