Cuisine Wars - Spain V France
The Sprinkles of Style team is back with a new post - looking at two of the most popular destinations for Brits and sharing some 'must-try' dishes for those who love to travel!
Hello - it's the Sprinkles of Style team and we're back with a new post which is a little bit different than normal.
If you're torn between travelling or moving abroad to one of the two most popular destinations for Brits - Spain and France, one of the main considerations has to be the food / cuisine which is on offer as this is something which can make or break an experience - especially when travelling.
In this article, we're taking a look at some of the most popular dishes from each destination which are considered as 'must-try' options.
- Beef Bourguignon - This is a hearty beef stew that originates from Burgundy and comprises of tender chunks of beef which has been braised in red wine and beef broth along with garlic, shallots, smoked bacon lardons, pearl onions and mushrooms making it deceptively simple.
2. French Onion Soup - This is a sweet yet balanced onion soup with an occasional hint of rosemary and thyme, served with a slice of warm crisp French bread
3. Mussels - A popular dish in France, with white wine, cream, braised onions and a touch of garlic - alongside Pomme Frites and fresh bread.
- Gazpacho - This is a cold soup which originated from Andalusia, Southern Spain and combines lovely ripe tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, peppers, cucumber and bread which is blended until it's smooth. Sometimes this is served with a diced, hard-boiled egg and Serrano ham, also known as salmorejo.
- Calamari - A popular dish all around the world, calamari are flash fried in light yet tasty batter, served hot from the fryer with a slice of lemon and garlic mayonnaise dip.
- Prawns in Garlic (Gambas al Ajillo) - Cooked in extra virgin olive oil with amounts of garlic and the tiniest touch of chilli - the dish is done particularly well in Canary Islands and Southern Spain.
So, no matter where you travel in the world, you'll come across incredible cuisines however sometimes you still want a little taste from home.
You know that we love hearing from you and reading all your wonderful comments so let us know what you think about the two destinations and the dishes we've shared!
The Sprinkles of Style Team!
No matter how good the cuisine, if you're in either country for a significant amount of time - there's always going to be a part of you that subconsciously fancies traditional fish and chips wrapped in newspaper or a craving for a lovely roast dinner on a Sunday.
If you're anything like Layla - you'll more than likely want sweet treats and cake (at all times we might add) so you could check out some of these GBBO Recipes which are sure to reconnect you with the familiar tastes of Blighty!