Hello everyone and welcome back to a brand new recipe! This time, I’m featuring this delicious vegan custard pie recipe (Galaktoboureko /γαλακτομπουρεκο).
I can easily put this right at the top of my most loved vegan recipes and as you all know – I love sweets and desserts.
Vegan Custard Pie Recipe (Galaktoboureko / γαλακτομπουρεκο)
You may be seeing a weird word being featured but galaktoboureko is just the Greek name for this custard pie.
It’s a traditional Greek recipe but I’ve given it a vegan twist so it’s suitable for everyone and tastes AMAZING!
Seriously, it’s just so good – make this once and you’ll be making it time and time again! 😀
INGREDIENTS – Vegan Custard Pie Recipe (Galaktoboureko / γαλακτομπουρεκο)
Below, you can see all the ingredients and method that you need to make this vegan custard pie.
As you can see in the photo above, this will make around 12 good sized pieces.
For The Syrup You Need
- 3 cups of water
- 2 cups of sugar
- Juice of one lemon
- Thick pieces of zest (from the lemon)
- Vanilla extract
For The Vegan Custard You Need
- 4 cups of plant-based milk – Vanilla option is the best for this recipe.
- 1 cup of coarse semolina
- 1 tablespoon of dairy-free butter plus extra for filo pastry.
- 1 cup of sugar
- Vanilla extract
- DON’T FORGET – Filo Pastry!
METHOD – Vegan Custard Pie Recipe (Galaktoboureko / γαλακτομπουρεκο
Further below, you’ll be able to see a step-by-step video of the whole process including the perfect texture for the vegan custard.
Here, you can see a brief overview of the method too.
- Start off by making the syrup – you need to let it cool.
- In a saucepan, add all the ingredients for the syrup and bring to a boil.
- Set aside.
- Next, for the vegan custard filling, add your plant milk, semolina, sugar, vanilla and dairy-free butter into a saucepan.
- Heat and continuously mix.
- When the custard thickens, remove from the heat.
- In a deep baking tray, line a filo pastry sheet and brush with melted dairy-free butter.
Apply dairy-free butter between each sheet but – move quickly as filo dries!
- Just over half of the pack of filo pastry should be lined on the bottom.
- Pour your vegan custard filling into the filo-lined baking tray.
- Top with remaining filo pastry sheets.
- Bake for around 45-50 minutes until the pastry turns golden. 180 degrees (fan oven).
- Remove from the oven and pour the (now cooled) syrup over the vegan custard pie.
- Let it settle for 10-20 minutes, serve and enjoy!
STEP-BY-STEP VIDEO – Vegan Custard Pie Recipe (Galaktoboureko / γαλακτομπουρεκο
It’s much more simple when you watch the video compared to reading the steps – I feel like I write everything in much more detail.
Through the video, you’ll see that this isn’t a difficult recipe and after a couple of times, you’ll get used to it 😉
Let me know what you all think – hope you enjoy this recipe!