Vegetarian Recipes For The Family
Written By: Sprinkles of Style
Looking for family-friendly vegetarian meal inspiration?
Check out one of our speedy vegetarian recipes – some of them can even be ready in as little as 30 minutes. From vegetarian korma to colourful veggie burgers. Winter-warming potato and spring onion soup, we have your vegetarian needs sorted. All these recipes are wonderful for the whole family to tuck into – even the little ones.
Even though our Layla follows a plant-based diet, we enjoy sharing things for everyone and the best part about these recipes is that they can easily be veganised.
1. Cheesy Vegetarian Lasagne
Fresh tomato sauce, homemade ricotta, and delicious vegetables make for a hearty lasagne. There’s a lot to love about this recipe. It’s as wholesome as any meat-filled lasagne, yet it feels so much more nutritious thanks to the sheer amount of veggies piled inside.
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 1 medium onion, small diced
* 210g portobello mushrooms, diced
* 1 small eggplant, diced
* 1 small aubergine, diced
* 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 tsp kosher salt
* 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
* 1 tsp minced fresh oregano
* 140g baby spinach
* 1 jar tomato-based sauce
* 15 dry lasagne sheets
* 500g ricotta cheese
* 340g shredded mozzarella cheese or vegan cheese.
* Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
* Add one tablespoon of the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and fry for a few minutes. Combine the mushrooms and sauté. Tip in the aubergine, courgette and bell pepper - cook for about five minutes until everything is tender.
* Push the veggies to one side of pan then spoon in one tablespoon of oil, garlic, salt, thyme and oregano.
* Combine the garlic mixture, stirring for around 30 seconds, then mix into the vegetables. Pop in the spinach, and cook for a few minutes until wilted. Take off the heat.
* Line a thin layer of the tomato-based sauce across the bottom of a baking tray along with lasagne sheets.
* Lay the ricotta over the sheets. Top with half of the vegetables, some of the tomato-based sauce, and some of the mozzarella.
* Keep going until you layer the final sheet.
* Bake for one hour. Once the pasta is cooked, scatter the remaining mozzarella over the top.
* You can bake for another for 10 to 15 minutes until the mozarella (or vegan cheese) has melted.
* Grill the lasagne for a couple of minutes, until the mozzarella is browned and bubbling.
* Take the lasagne out of the oven and set to one side to cool on a wire rack before dishing up.
Vegetarian Recipes For All The Family
2. Ultimate Veggie Burger with Chips
Loaded with nutritional power-houses like mushrooms, avocado and spinach, this moreish veggie burger is ready in just 30 minutes.
The burger is filled with harissa, onion and garlic, making it colourful and satisfying for kids and adults alike. We’re big fans of McCain lighter home chips – perfect if you don’t have time to make your own.
* 4 large flat mushrooms (make sure to remove stalks)
* Olive oil
* 1 garlic clove, crushed
* 1 halloumi block, cut into 8 slices
* 4 tbsp mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
* 1 tbsp harissa
* 1 avocado, sliced
* 4 burger buns, toasted
* A good handful spinach
* ½ a red onion, finely sliced
* Frozen oven chips
* Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
* Line a baking tray with the mushrooms.
*Mix one tablespoon of olive oil with the garlic and coat the mushrooms with it.
*Bake, turning from time to time, for roughly 30 minutes until cooked.
*Pop in the oven chips about 10 minutes into cooking the mushrooms, baking as per packet instructions.
* Next, using a dry pan, fry the halloumi until golden-brown.
*Combine the mayo with the harissa.
* To make the buns, spread both sides with harissa mayo, then top with avocado, mushrooms, halloumi, onions and spinach. Then pop a bun on top.
Remember - this recipe can be veganised.
Halloumi can be removed or an alternative vegan option can be added and if you want to make things even healthier, you can add a slice of fresh tomatoe.
Mayonaisse can be vegan - it's easy to veganise things if you wish.
*Sit back and enjoy your meal.
Warming Mid-Week Option
3. Potato and Spring Onion Soup
This five-ingredient soup is just delicious! You can make it in under 30 minutes.
With it's silky-smooth consistency this is a wonderful winter warmer, while the spring-onion garnish brings a refreshing crunch to a bowl of hearty goodness.
* Butter or Vegan Butter
* 2 bunches spring onions, trimmed and sliced
* 750g floury potatoes, peeled and chopped
* 1.5 litres vegetable stock
* 100ml double cream or vegan alternative
* In a small pan, dissolve a knob of butter. Throw in the spring onions (saving a small handful for garnishing).
* Simmer gently until very tender, combine the spuds, and season well. Then pour in the stock and bring to a simmer.
* You want the potato to be really soft, then pulse everything using a blender until velvety-smooth – or pour into a food processor and blitz.
* Combine the cream, and season to your liking. Spoon into bowls garnished with slices of green spring onion.
Serve with bread.
4. Macaroni Cheese
Sneak veggies into macaroni cheese and this popular family meal becomes even more wholesome for little ones, with the addition of butternut squash and cauliflower - Yum!
* 1 butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and diced
* 300g cauliflower florets
* 500g pasta
* 1 tbsp butter or vegan butter
* 2 tbsp plain flour
* 1 tbsp English mustard
* 250ml Milk (any will work – even soya and oat milk will work. Unsweetened)
* 2 tbsp cream cheese
* 70g cheddar cheese, grated
(There are vegan alternatives to cheese - different supermarkets have a variety of options.)
* In a pan, boil the diced squash for roughly five minutes, and then throw in the cauliflower florets. Cook for a further five minutes or until both vegetables are soft.
* Move the cooked vegetables to a food processor and blitz until a puree has formed.
* Cook pasta.
* In a large pan, melt the butter over a medium heat, and add flour and mustard. Whisk together until mixture is bubbling.
* Add milk to the pan and continue whisking.
* Once mixture is combined and bubbling again, add the vegetable puree you created earlier and stir until smooth.
* Pour the cream cheese into the pan and stir for a further minute.
* Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and move to the sauce, stirring until completely covered.
* Put the mac and cheese into bowls and top with grated cheddar.
Sit back and enjoy your meal.
Great Option For Friday
5. Veggie Korma
Feast your eyes on this roast cauliflower korma recipe. Low in calories and ready in just 30 minutes, it’s an effortless and delicious midweek meal.
* 1 large cauliflower, broken into florets
* 2 tbsp groundnut oil
* 2 tsp ground turmeric
* 4 cardamom pods, bruised
* 2 tsp cumin seeds
* 1 onion large, finely chopped
* 1 green chilli, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 1 tbsp ginger, grated
* 2 tsp ground coriander
* 4 cloves, ground
* 200ml vegetable stock
* 2 tbsp ground almonds
* 4 tbsp natural yogurt or vegan alternative
* A handful coriander, chopped
* Rice and naans bread to serve
* Heat the oven to 180 degrees.
*Throw the cauliflower florets in a bowl with one tablespoon of oil, one tablespoon of the turmeric and a decent pinch of salt.
*Mix together, then line a non-stick baking sheet with these ingredients, roasting for roughly 20 minutes.
* Next, heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan, tip in the cardamom and cumin seeds and fry.
* Combine the onion and chilli, and sauté until the onion is tender and golden-brown.
*Stir in the garlic and ginger, and heat for a couple of minutes. Mix in the rest of the turmeric and the left-over spices.
* Pop in the roasted cauliflower, mixing well, then pour in the stock and almonds.
*Leave to bubble for about five minutes, then add the yogurt.
*Sprinkle in the coriander and serve with rice and naan bread.
We hope you enjoyed our round-up of the top five family-friendly veggie dinners. Even if your youngster is picky, you’re sure to discover a couple of easy, go-to dinner recipes right here.
Let us know what you think.
Sprinkles of Style Team